Monday, August 23, 2010

YES YOU CAN

Have you ever wanted to learn how to do something but put off learning how?  That's exactly what I did with learning how to crochet.  I remember when I was probably around 9 years old and the ladies at our church would meet and crochet.  At that time, mama learned and all I did was learn how to crochet one loooong chain.  The main reason I never learned how to do anything more was because I am left handed.  Do you know how hard it is for a person who is left handed to learn something from a person who is right handed?  Well, it's very hard for me to understand how to do something looking at someone who is doing it the opposite way!  I gave up years ago and didn't pick it back up until  few years ago.  Unfortunately, I do not remember the next learning experience so I am going by what mama told me.  It was during the time I was pregnant (don't know which child but it was possibly Madison) and I wanted to learn to make a blanket.  I gave that up too.  I think mama said she has the piece somewhere that I worked on but I'm not sure.  I must have had a terrible experience with it because I believe I have blocked the whole episode from my confused brain.  I'm sure you have NEVER done anything like that before, right?  Something so ridiculous that you want to forget it and not think about it again in you whole entire life?  That blanket must have been something else!  Anyway, life has been a whirlwind since those days but now I feel it's time to focus again on something I want to do.  A few months ago I really felt the need to do something for someone else.  I wanted to start some kind of ministry that I could do.  I remembered hearing about prayer shawls.  Basically, you crochet a shawl and pray for the person that you will be giving it to while you are making it.  I decided that I would like to try something like that.  I bought a beginner book, needle, and yarn (again).  I did learn a few things from the book but I was still struggling with how to do other stitches.  Mama helped me a bit and also a lady from our church.  I still wasn't satisfied with what I was doing.  It was really hard for me to understand.  I did make a couple of dishcloths and even a couple of hats.  What really helped me "get it" was videos from you tube!  I was able to find many videos that showed exactly how to crochet so many kinds of stitches and things.  The videos were in slow motion also.                                                                                                                      

I finally was able to make a prayer shawl for a lady at church.  I was sooooo happy.  The above picture is the blanket I finally finished  for myself.  I worked on it earlier in the year and then I stopped when it got so hot.  I decided the other week that I wanted to finish the blanket.  It's not perfect and I have still have alot to learn, but I did it!  If you are wanting to learn something new, keep trying and I know there has got to be a way for you to do what you want!  I am sure that you could bless others with what you learn to do also.  What a blessing it is to serve one another!

I know it took me years to be able to learn how to crochet, but I would have learned sooner if I hadn't gave up in the first place.  The girls are learning how to crochet now, but what's funny is that mama is having to show Madison because she is right handed.  I don't have a problem with teaching Melanie because she is left handed just like me.  What a joy to be able to pass along something that seems to be a dying art.   

3 comments:

Laurie said...

That is really awesome!!! I tried crocheting about 16 years ago. I was doing pretty good, but just kinda' gave up! I would love to start doing it again! Maybe I should try, but I may need your help and since I am left handed too, it shouldn't be too hard to learn from you!

Dyan said...

I would be glad to show you what I know (which isn't much but I'm learning). Search you tube for left handed crochet also. I really enjoy it!!

Phillip said...

Dyan has really come a long way in her crocheting (is that a word?). I can still remember how frustrated she got when she was getting started. In just a short time she has some wonderful items (a long way from the looong chains). I can't wait until it gets cold so I can use my scarf. Thank you sweetheart.