Wednesday, August 4, 2010

7th Year of Homeschooling

I am amazed at how the time has flown since that first day of schooling Michael in 2004.  We have had our ups and downs, our trials, things that worked, and things that didn't.  We have come a long way in our confidence, but by no means do we try to do it on our own.  The first few years are so hard because you are trying to find what fits for YOUR family.  What works for one child may not work for another.  And if you are comparing your family to another, WATCH OUT! 

I've learned that you set yourself up for a big fall if you look at other families.  I know, I've done it.  I have listened to what other families are doing and what kind of projects they have done.  I start second guessing myself and wonder if we should be doing the same thing.  The assurance of what we are doing dwindles and I slowly fall in to a pit of misery.  I start feeling that I am failing my kids somehow.  How do I keep from not feeling this way?  I cling to the hope of knowing God is showing us what's right for our family.  We are all different and we have different needs, wants, talents, desires, and lives.

 I believe a big part of knowing what is right for each child is exposing them to different things.  They are young and can experiment to see what their interests are.  I believe we are getting there with our children.  Believe it or not, Michael is not playing football this year.  He chose scouts because he felt like he would miss important meetings if he was playing football.  It's a little sad for me, but this is the path that he has chosen. 
 
We are blessed to be able to teach our kids at home.  I've said it before, we don't see it as a sacrifice.  What we do is what God wants our family to do.  It's a comfort to be in God's will and know it!  By no means have we perfected what we are doing.  We still struggle from time to time.  There are hard aches.  When people ask me if homeschooling is easy, I tell them the truth.  Of course it's not easy, but it's full filling to know that we are in the center of God's will.

It's exciting to be starting a new year.  A fresh beginning.  New books, school supplies, and new grades to teach.  What a privilege it is to be able to guide our children in to a world of knowledge with the Lord at the forefront of all we do.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Dyan,
What an encouraging blog today! I was just talking with a couple of friends last night about this very thing. Have you ever read the book "Lies Homeschooling Moms Believe"? I haven't yet, but one of my friends said it was just what we needed. It is so easy to think that other people have it all together, when in reality they have the same (or different) struggles as we do! Guess this shows we must pray for each other in this endeavor called "homeschooling"!!! :)

Tracie said...

Love this my friend!!! Great job!!!

Sara McCoy said...

Thanks so much for reassuring me when you didn't even realize you were! We're homeschooling going on our 3rd year. You hit the nail on the head when you said you may feel like you're failing your kids when comparing to other families. I felt like I hadn't done enough last year & our son didn't enjoy homeschool as much as I hoped he would. Mine wants to play football too but we're having to wait to see if the law passes where homeschool kids can join extra-curricular activities of public school. He was disappointed to not be able to play this year & we're just going to have to take it year by year as to how long we will/can keep him at home...Anyway! Thanks for your blog!! Sara