Wednesday, August 18, 2010

My Silly Son

We tease the kids at church about how silly they are.  You know the ones, they are the tweens and the teens.  They act all crazy and worry so much about their cell phones,etc.  Michael keeps saying he's NOT going to be that way.  Well, guess what?  He is EXACTLY that way.  He is so silly and can be such a crazy cut up.  He can say the goofiest things sometimes. 

So, we have eased into the preteen years and it hasn't been all that bad.  The only time it gets frustrating is when he decides he is right no matter what!  This happens quite often and he will even argue with facts from a textbook.  I have never been this way, so I can't understand his way of thinking.  He will argue you down if he thinks he is right.  I have to explain to him often that he really needs to know his facts before he starts saying someone or something is wrong.  It doesn't really seem to bother him when he finds out that he is wrong about something.  I've noticed about the only time he will get upset is if he's wrong and Madison is right!

What has helped me understand this phase of life is a book by Dennis and Barbara Rainey.  The name of it is:  Parenting Today's Adolescent.  It is very helpful and I'm sure I will be reading over and over again in the next few years.  If you are needing some heads up about the tween years, you may want to check it out!

2 comments:

Laurie said...

I completely understand! I may have to check that book out! Thanks!

Jennifer said...

We, too are in the silly phase.I remember my younger cousin being there when I was in college. I remember thinking that my aunt must REALLY love him b/c I wouldn've been able to take it 24/7!! Now I know-SHE DID(does)really love him, b/c love is the only thing keeping Will ALIVE!