Monday, August 9, 2010

On Your Mark

Get set, GO!  Another school year under way already?  Where did the summer go?  The summer began with celebrating Phillip's 40th birthday by having an awesome surprise party for him.  Then our summer was busy with the pool, waterpark, VBS, Charleston, Six Flags, museums, kayaking, nights spent with grandparents, friends spending nights with us, church camp, scout camp, 4th of July celebrations, family reunion, and much more!

What a blessing to be able to do so many things with friends and family, but alas, all good things must resume to some kind of normalcy around here.  I miss my schedule, teaching the kids, projects, etc.  What's in store for our 7th year of schooling?

We will be using My Father's World unit study once again.  I know that the Lord has ordained this himself and I have no questions of using it.  We are in the 4th year of the cycle and therefore will be learning about Exploration to 1850.  I remember the first time I heard about MFW.  I was at a mom's night out and we all were suppose to share what we were using.  I heard about lots of good curriculum that night, but MFW stood out from all the rest.  I like it because it's Bible based.  The Hazel's focus on the Lord being at the head of homeschooling and it shows in the curriculum.  I am also assured that when I purchase my curriculum from them that part of the funds go to Bible translation.  Another great feature is that the planning has been done for me.  I just need to read what I need to do and make sure I have the materials.  Unit studies are great to use for moms with many children because most ages can benefit from the same lesson.

We don't do English and Math that MFW recommends.  For English we use Rod and Staff and for Math we use Horizons.  This will be the last year Michael uses Horizons because it only goes up to 6th grade.  I'm considering Teaching Textbooks for next year. 

What else will we be doing?  Well, of course we have co-op classes, Michael has drum lessons and scouts.  Madison will continue guitar lessons.  The girls are interested in Girlscouts and as far as anything else we need to be in prayer about it.  There are so many things for the kids to get exposed to.  I never worry about socialization (that will be a different post altogether one day). 

    My Father's World         Rod and Staff

   Horizons

1 comment:

Phillip said...

It has been a great summer!!!