Thursday, August 5, 2010

I Said I Wouldn't Do It

It's funny how you end up doing things that you had all intentions of NOT doing!  Michael has a cell phone and even texting now.  How did we get here?

A couple of years ago my mother bought Michael a phone because he walked his dog by himself at the edge of the woods.  I was ok with that.  Well, the other day he was going on a kayaking trip and it had been too long since we had put minutes on that little cell phone, so I ended up buying a Verizon pay as you go.  Was this a big mistake?  I don't know.  Here is what has been happening around our house since then.

Michael enjoys texting family and some of his friends.  If we continue to allow him to have the phone, someone has to pay at least $15.00 per month to keep it active.  I don't want to pay it simply because I do not see a need for it right now.  He is usually with us anyway.  On the other side, I know he enjoys the phone alot.  It makes for a great incentive to "act right."  Then we have other issues to contend with.  Guess who asked how old she has to be to get her own phone?  Oh yes, Madison!  Here we go. More expense and for what? 

I know there is a day coming that he will need a phone.  I thought that day would be when he starts driving but now I'm not so sure. 

We will be praying about this situation for the next few days until it's time to add more minutes to the phone.  Ahhh, the life of a parent. 

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

What di you decide??We are in the same boat with Will. He wants a phone so badly, but we always say no until driving. Now he wants to buy his own and do the pay by the minute thing. They can't even HAVE them at school, so when would he even use it?? Would love to know what your experience was.