Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Discipline Never Hurts

My four year old has gotten a little, "braggy" lately. I don't know where she is getting it, but enquiring minds want to know. You know the type. I can do this and you can't or I have this and you don't. Naner naner naner. Can you picture the little scrunched up face to go with the words and maybe a little prissy hip movement with the slight cockiness head bob? She isn't doing that YET, but I did not like her telling another little girl that she was going on vacation and she wasn't and she was going to have more fun than her. OH MY....my dear little sweet heart...my dear youngest...my baby....WHAT WAS SHE THINKING!!! She was definitely Phillip's child and not mine when she was saying that!!!! Let me post a cutesy picture of her and see if you can imagine the scene.

Hard to do, right? Well it is for me. Oh, and while I am typing this out I see we were having those omelets in a zip lock bag for breakfast that morning in the heart of Pennsylvania.....ooohhhh the memories of that wonderful trip (oh, and the plates were free too due to BiLo, coupon, and a catalina that printed out). ANYWAY....what I was getting at....I thought really hard about what I was going to say and what I was going to do. Well, for starters she did not get to go to the free summer movie and I promised her a spanking (which is a big deal for her and me because I do not like spanking my youngest and I am sure you can count on one hand how many times she has gotten one...actually one finger...haha. Ok, once we got home and ate lunch I brought out my Creative Correction book by Lisa Whelchel and I must say it has some awesome scripture references in it, so I thought I would share the one I used on her. Proverbs 27:2 Let another man praise thee, and not thine own mouth; a stranger, and not thine own lips. WOW...pretty good, huh? You know I didn't stop there. I explained to her that we were suppose to be like Jesus and would Jesus walk around speaking to people like that? I also explained to her that even though someone else might talk that way to her, we do not talk that way to other people. We do not treat others the way they treat us. We need to treat others the way we want to be treated. And if someone does talk like that and hurt our feelings, it doesn't mean we get to say something like that back. I would prefer that my children ignore the comment and try to change the subject if they can, but if it's really bad just walk away and stay away from the person. We all have talents and we are all different. Everyone has different things, can do things better than others, and gets to go different places. Isn't it great that everyone is different? It makes for a pretty cool environment if you ask me. Maybe this did her some good. I hope so and I will be praying for my darling. In the mean time, if you are curious about the book, you can get it here used for less than $2.00 plush shipping. Now you can get it new at just about any bookstore. Also, Lisa's website. I have more about her I can say, but I will save it for another day.

No comments: