Wednesday, March 4, 2009

OH, What A Ride!

We have finally moved in to our new house. It really has been an awesome ride these past few months. We have experienced many disappointments and frustrations, but we have also had many happy moments too. I feel that our journey began maybe even a couple of years ago, with God getting us ready for the path we are walking down now. At the time, while we were going through some trials, we could not see the light at the end of the tunnel and had no clue as to where to go, but with much prayer we feel that God has lead us to a new town with many new hats to wear. When Phil started his new job, we talked about moving in a couple of years. As the weeks went on, we began to think about putting our house up for sale for the simple fact that he didn't want to drive an hour to and from work. We figured it would take months to sell our house, so why not go ahead and put it on the market? We started looking around a little at houses and found a realtor to show us around the Greenville area. We didn't even have our house on the market, but with a few tips from the realtor we got the house prepared and the for sale signs went up at the beginning of December. By the beginning of January, our house was under contract. We had NO idea that the house would sell that quickly. I even figured no one would even look at it until the spring. Also, take into account the economy and housing market I just didn't have my hopes up that it would sell quickly or at all.

During our search for the golden egg, we eventually turned our eyes to the Piedmont/Pelzer area. Then things started making more sense to us. We could move in that area to be closer to Phil's work, but also be close to church and our home school co-op. If we had moved to Greenville area, we would have been at least 45 minutes from church and our home school group. One day as I was looking at homes on the Internet I found the perfect house. It had a little land AND the wrap around porch I wanted. We scheduled an appointment and as soon as I set foot on the ground I KNEW that it was the house for us. I felt it in my gut. As we toured the inside, we liked it even more. It didn't take much for us to be sold on the house. There was a catch as this point, our house wasn't sold yet nor even under contract at this point. We put an offer on the house contingent on ours selling. Of course the answer was a big NO. We understood completely, but was disappointed. In the back of my mind, I kept thinking the house would still be there when we were ready to buy. I saved the house under my favorites and would check from time to time just to look at it. Then one day I noticed it was under contract. I was very heart broken. I couldn't understand why this would happen when I felt so sure that it was the house for us. We began looking again for another house and we did find a foreclosed home that we eventually put a contract on about the time someone put a contract on ours. We were excited and it still had a porch. It needed some TLC and we were going to save some money in the long run. It came down to the day before the closing and the bank wanted us to make the renovations BEFORE buying the house. To make a very long story short, we bailed. We were very disappointed and devastated by the outcome. However, we had the appraisal of the house we were going to buy and the house that we REALLY wanted was on the appraisal. I noticed that it didn't sell, but the listing had timed out. I called the realtor. The contract fell through and the house was AVAILABLE!!!!

We eventually bought the first house. We still don't understand why any of this happened. I do believe that it has to do with faith. I should have waited on the Lord instead of being pushy. I should have waited to see if the first house sold before we tried to get something else. The Lord all but told me in person that the first house was ours. I was impatient.

I can look back now and know some reasons as to why Phillip lost his job back in August. I believe the Lord wanted us to be closer to our church and the only way for us to want to move would be for Phil to be closer to his new job. The Lord has a work for us. I know it's only the beginning of us using our talents for the Lord. God wants us here and we have obeyed the call. We have no idea what's in store, but we know that God is up to something. :-) It's a good something. Yes, I am a little scared, but I also know that with God all things are possible. I know that he will direct our paths. All my life I have enjoyed helping people. When people would ask what kind of job I wanted, I would reply that all I want to do is help people. I believe that the Lord is going to "help people" through me. If you have ever heard the song, It's My Desire, that is the song for my life. It was when I was young and it still rings true today. My prayer is that you will follow the leading of the Lord. If the Lord is telling you to do something, do you have the nerve to take the ride with Him? He said he will never forsake us. He will be there to guide you, comfort you, and give you the peace that you need.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

What a ride indeed! I am so happy for you! Isn't our God amazing? Are you thinking of the song ,"This Is My Desire" by Jeremy Camp?? If so, that is one of my all-time favorties, too!!Congratulations on the house! Can't wait to get to see it!