Thursday, April 30, 2009

It's That Time Again! Strawberry Time!

This is a little sneak peak of what we were picking early this morning in Due West. Don't they look delicious?Oh, Yeah! Notice the open sign below the main sign? I love to see this sign! Doin' a happy dance!

Madison picked these strawberries all by herself and it only took a few minutes to fill the basket up! I can remember when we would pick and their attention span was shorter than what I wanted it to be. It's not like that now, they are ready and willing to find red strawberries, ripe for the picking!
Melanie grabbed her a few to fill up her basket. She did a great job and knew not to pick green, pink, or really small ones. It was a little sad for me though because she doesn't eat them like crazy anymore while she is picking them. No strawberry juice on her face, hands, arms, or clothes this year (only in her mouth). I didn't know last year was one of her "lasts" at gobbling those sweet little pieces of fruit up before we got to the van with juice everywhere! Due West allows children to eat as many as they want (my rule: within reason).
Michael did a great job at picking (even though I had to remind him about not plucking the stems also). He likes to be first at everything and of course the best, so he was in a little bit of a hurry and grabbed stems and all a few times. He was in charge of the "stake", so he did make sure of where to put the stake where we stopped on the row. He also made sure Melanie was picking just right. :-)

We left out early from Pelzer for our treck to Due West. It was well worth the trip! Yes, Callaham Orchards has strawberries, but honestly they do NOT taste as good as Due West. I am being serious! They are not as sweet and they have a spongy texture to them. I will also say that I think Due West strawberries are a little cheaper too. We also got the added benefit of buying some homeade 100% whole wheat bread. We couldn't have asked for a better day. I love these kinds of field trips!





No comments: