Friday, April 17, 2009

Healthier Batac's


We are trying to eat healthier and I am trying to cook healthier. Right now I am on a kick about whole wheat. I buy whole wheat bread and pasta, but now I want to try to make my own whole wheat items. I tried to make whole wheat tortillas yesterday and they tasted great, however I have got to perfect making them in to a circle! I will post the recipe another day if anyone would like to try their hand at these. I just can not get myself to pay the store's price for whole wheat tortillas and that is why I am trying to make them homemade.


This morning I made whole wheat pancakes and the kids really enjoyed them. We also used light syrup, a little cool whip, and strawberries. I know syrup and cool whip isn't too healthy, but it's a start in the right direction and they really didn't put a lot on their plates. Here's the recipe and the picture is what Michael created, he did a wonderful job making it look appetizing.
OH, and speaking of STRAWBERRIES....Callaham's Orchard will be open April 18, 2009, which is tomorrow, and they will have STRAWBERRIES!!!


Whole Wheat Pancakes
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 cup low fast buttermilk (I didn't have any, so I made some by adding a little vinegar)
1/2 cup non fat milk
1 Tablespoon honey ( I didn't use this)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

I mixed all the dry ingredients together and then added the wet. I doubled the recipe, however I forgot to double the eggs. The pancakes were great without doubling the eggs. The kids also had a friend over and she ate them too, which says alot because she can be a little pickier than my kids.



Keep in mind, how frugal this is and a lot healthier than packaged from the store. You can always make a bunch up and freeze them also, which is what I was able to do this morning. I have a recipe for homeade syrup, but I haven't tried it yet. I just used a bottle of Aldi brand. Of course, I do have the real maple syrup from Maine too, but THAT is NOT frugal!!!!

No comments: