Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Perfect Brownie

This was truly a work of art. I am NOT one to make a good pan of brownies. I have tried and tried, but they never turn out right. All these years though, I have been using box mixes. Well, I decided to search the Internet for a perfect recipe and after trying it, I did indeed find it! I wish I could give the link to the site, but I do not remember. The lady stated that she had been making the recipe for years and that she and her mother used to watch a cooking show in the 1970's with a certain woman. The would write the recipes down that she would give. She assumed that everyone knew this lady, however years later she was to find that they didn't because it was a local channel they watched. The search for the perfect brownie started because I needed to bake something for a church dinner. Well, this will be a keeper for many years to come.
The Perfect Brownie
1 cup butter softened (I used margarine)
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
1/2 cup cocoa
2 cups all-purpose flour
Preheat oven to 350. With a mixer cream sugar and butter. Add vanilla and eggs and use mixer to blend. Last add cocoa and flour by mixing with a spoon. I did use a mixer, however I used it only until it was blended. You can add nuts, etc. by just stirring them in with a spoon. Bake for 18-20 minutes in 2 8x8 pans. It did take mine about 25 minutes to bake.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Hey Dyan! When I read your blog, I had to laugh!! I, too, have struggled with box mixes over the years. Just last week, I was desperate for a yummy, chocolately snack . I checked the back of the cocoa powder box and lo and behold, there was a fairly simple recipe.So I gave 'em a try and they were very good, if I do say so myself. Your recipe is almost exactly the recipe I used:)!I agree with you- from now on I am sticking with "from scratch" brownies.