Saturday, February 7, 2009

Psalm 23-Modern Day Version

The clock is my dictator, I shall not rest.
It makes me lie down only when exhausted.
It leads me into deep depression.
It hounds my soul.
It leads me in circles of frenzy, for activities sake.
Even though I run frantically from task to task, I will never get it all done
For my ideal is with me.
Deadlines and my need for approval, they drive me.
They demand performance from me, beyond the limits of my schedule.
They anoint my head with migraines,
My in basket overflows.
Surely fatigue and time pressure shall follow me
All the days of my life
And I will dwell in the bonds of frustration, Forever.


I went to a training and the theme was Excellence in Ministry. It focused on being excellent. One of the comments was that you can give an excellent performance and still not perform with an excellent spirit. One thing that stood out to me was to pick just a few things to strive to do your best in. It seems that if you give of yourself on a few things, you tend to give it your all. If you try to do a lot, then you tend to give just a little. I know this is something I have known for a long time, but it was good to hear it again. I don't need to spread myself thin because what I end up giving is a little to a lot of things and those things aren't receiving my best. Give your best to a couple of things and it will receive the best. I know God will honor my efforts as long as I strive to put him first in everything and seek his will. God wants excellence and expects excellence, but I can't give it to him if I am trying to do it all myself.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I loved this post! Thank you for the needed word today, Dyan!