Friday, June 12, 2009

He's Still Working On Me...

to make me what I ought to be...Anybody remember that song? It came to me tonight after I put the kids to bed. Today was a revelation day of sorts for myself. I have been so wrapped up in our family that I have forgotten the needs of others. Oh, I know I do care and I do try to be sensitive to people's needs. I feel I am aware of those around me and try to help or lend a hand when I can. However, in trying to raise my children, I believe I have forgotten something ever so important. I feel that I am a "good" mom. We talk about Jesus, take them to church, have devotion, pray, try to make sure they really KNOW God, make sure they have friends, make sure they are involved in many activities, etc. In doing all this, I have not thought much about my children being a light to others. So, I was enlightened to the fact today that even though I am trying my best to "bring up my children in the way they should go" they are still going to be exposed to things that are not good. I pray that my kids are so rooted in their beliefs and KNOW that they have parents and a God that loves them that they can be a light to their friends and help show them the way.
I think these flowers are beautiful

They were given to me by a neighbor who is only 7. We had been gone for a couple of hours and when we got back these flowers (for me), some hand drawn pictures(for all), 3 stuffed animals(for the kids), and a note were on our front porch. The note was asking ME ("the mom") if she could be friends with my children and listed her phone number. She asked if I would call her when she could come and play. It stated that she didn't have any friends to play with around here. My kids were very excited about this whole situation. Madison phoned her and thanked her for the items. Later, we all visited the little girl and her family. She came on over to play. She seems to be a very sweet little girl, but due to certain circumstances she is having to live with her grandmother. I am not saying her situation is bad, I am saying it's not what my kids are used to.

We have seen her outside on several occasions and I believe the kids and Phil have said hello to her in passing. I have thought about asking her over in the past, but I didn't know her or her family. I am sure you have been in those situations before and understand why I didn't go ahead and introduce myself. Today however, God chose to work on me. He chose today to show me that there are children in this world, right in our neighborhood, that need someone. In moving to this town 3 months ago, I said, "Yes God, I will go". In saying that, it meant WHATEVER he needs me to do I will do it for the Lord.

We dedicated our home a few weeks ago and our Pastor prayed that we would reach people in our neighborhood. When he prayed that, I agreed and wondered just what might be in store for us. I thank God for what he showed me today. I also thank God for my new little friend and for us being a friend to her. Pray for us that we will do what God wants us to do for Him.

1 comment:

Tracie said...

I'm so happy that you have a new friend. Funny sometimes how we might miss something that God wants us to see and then He makes it clear to us--that He is trying to show us something. May both families be blessed by this friendship.